- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- Fresh raspberries, mint sprigs and additional confectioners’ sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, water, buttermilk, eggs, applesauce,oil and vanilla until well blended.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended.
- Transfer to two 9-in. round baking pans coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar and jam until blended.
- Split each cake into two horizontal layers.
- Place a bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with a third of the filling.
- Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining cake layer.
- Garnish with raspberries, mint and additional confectioners’ sugar if desired.
Yield: 16 servings.